Friday, January 29, 2010

I paid a visit yesterday to the Domaine de Sandricourt, about 30 miles northwest of Paris. On this large estate is an old farm used by American ambulance corps as a training camp during the First World War. My grandfather spent several months here in 1917 and 1918. Mr. G, the son of the owner in 1917, graciously showed me around before he and his wife offered a sumptuous lunch and interesting conversation in the chateau!

The old farm look similar to the way it looked in my grandfather's day, although the buildings are a bit rundown. Mr. G is trying to get them renovated and meanwhile has rented it to a budding beekeeper.

It was eery standing in the muddy courtyard of this place that I've read about for so long. But there may be several eery moments on this voyage of discovery.

No comments: