Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Two 4 One

English drinking--makes you think of a nice pint of lager on a warm sunny day or perhaps a warming stout in a pub where you have escaped from the cold rain.

Well, brace yourselves. Patsy and Edina, Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty, these are the images that should come to mind.

Since I arrived I have been astounded to see how much alcohol the average resident of London consumes during a night out. I already mentioned the public drunkenness witnessed on Saturday afternoon. I thought to myself that this was an exception, a celebration.

Tuesday evening we went to a cocktail bar a few blocks from our flat. It was recommended by one of John’s colleagues as a reasonably priced place with good cocktails, both a rarity in this city. Good cocktails? Yes. Reasonably priced? Yes. The only trouble is, cocktails are not like the animals being lead onto Noah’s ark. They should be consumed one at a time, not two at a time. Fifty-Five (www.fiftyfivebar.co.uk) is the name of the place and during happy hour (6:00-8:00) all cocktails are served two at a time. I ordered a manhattan for myself and a martini for John. The bartender poured two of each. I was sure it was a mistake but no. I quickly realized that all around me Brits were double down, and getting ready to fall down as a result. As the clock neared 8:00 the cue (more local language for you) at the bar was growing. Nobody wanted to miss the last shot of 2:4:1 madness.

Not one to shun local customs, I drank my two manhattans, we went on to dinner (where I had only water) and then stopped at the Earl of Camden pub on the corner. This place had a special as well. Order two glasses of wine and get the whole bottle! What is one to do? With the dollar so weak you have to economize somewhere. Now if only I could get rid of this headache.

5 comments:

Grant Willard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Don't take on too many British habits, you can see what it does to their teeth!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good evening. I have to hit that place when I make it to London.

Anonymous said...

I know Amy Winehouse, but who are Patsy and Edina?

Anonymous said...

have you been traveling? No new posts in days :-(

M